Wednesday 12 March 2008

Desiderata- Sometimes a Reminder is Good



Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;f or always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantmentit is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

24 comments:

VeeraMahal said...

I love the way your words flow gently, floating above the gizzillion blogs, soothing and whirlpooling in soul searchers like me!

I am in!!! Peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://kaleidoscoopes.blogspot.com

frida kahlo said...

Delicious reading! Big fan of your blog and will post a link on my own blog! Keep up the good work, and I eagerly await your next post! :-)

http://smartchica4u.blogspot.com
I would welcome and advice or feedback from my blog. Thanks!

Nicole said...

Lovely blog. Wonderful sentiments. Thank you for sharing.

Veronika Lenz said...

Very wise words. Thank you.

mansi said...

great work..they left a big impact on my heart..

aRcheLLa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aRcheLLa said...

your blog is nice",,,
kip up the gud work....
can u plsss,,,view also my blog and leave a comment.....

www.archellazone.blogspot.com

thhnnnxxxx
godbless,,,takecare olways
mmwwaaahhh"..

Mary said...

Oh, I haven't read the Desiderata since I was a teenager -- thank you so much for reminding me of it. Such beautiful words, and so calming.
xoxo,
Mary

Saur♥Kraut said...

Marvellous advice.

taste memory said...

beautiful pictures and lovely words...i feel like i am on your peaceful island.

congrats too about blogs of note....so glad to have come across your website, i will be visiting again ;)

Sherry said...

Hi Sharon

:)
First of all, I must tell you that your blog is simply beautiful. And you live on an island in the Caribbean! How wonderful is that! It's one of my must-see-before-i-die stuff :D
Wow.

And the pictures are amazing....which cam do you use? But more than the cam, I think it's your sense of aesthetics...Please keep up the good work.
:)

PS: Do visit my blog too. I'll be glad if you would....

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sharon, interesting find, your blog, this sunny afternoon. Thanks for the Desiderata reminder. I hadn't seen it in awhile. Lovely flowers you are sharing. Thank you! Kathryn

Bruce Eagle the Full Metal said...

Hey you and I had the same Idea on this one. I just did a kinda rap version based on this great poem...great blog.

Would you mind if i link to yours and you link to mine?

www.thegrandarcanum.blogspot.com

azellene said...

this is my really first time i visit your blog and it is really worthy!! I'm sure you are a nature lover and your words oh so calming reflects your inside personality. Great works!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, You have truly a beautiful blog. I like your thoughts, writings and naturally the beautiful tropical plants you share with other bloggers. Do you live in Paradise? Take care Tita.

Jenny said...

Wow... Truely poetic.
I love your blog! ^.^

Cat's Confessions said...

You blog is so interesting, I love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Profound reading...great pictures. Congrats on the Google thing.
Your loving sister, Jen

Tania said...

i wonder how you can be so in peace in this oooo-sooo shaken world.. in a sense, u convey loads of sincere feelings through your words and though i am a bit skeptical about living in total peace, i love your way of talking abt it.

کبوتر سبز said...

Perfect words and photos. Really nice. I like your blog.
I have started my own blog very recently and with your permision I will add your blog link there (http://sth2drink.blogspot.com/).
Wish you best.

Anonymous said...

I fell on your blog by chance, but this reminder of the Desiderata is just what I needed to give me the words to help a friend in emotional need. Thank you so much.

KING DJ said...

nice 1 bro u rock

www.rbimoney.com

Jean said...

Very nice blog!
I want to share it with an artist friend of mine... I love your photos!
(I just want to point out that Max Ehrmann only holds the copyright to Desiderata. No one knows who the author was.)

Nicolette said...

This blog in particular, caught my eye -- and at the same time .. make me truly happy. Haven't felt this way in awhile. Your blog is quite enjoyable. I will be back here soon, keep up the great work!