Wednesday 22 August 2007

The complicated world of plants

The seeds of the heliconia are what ensures life. These brightly coloured pods that emerge from the flower bracts are irresistible to tanagers and hummingbirds. All heliconias have some sort of pod often in different colours depending on the type of heliconia. Usually they are a contrasting colour to the flower bract. My sexy orange bracts give forth an indigo seed. Like the bromeliads, the bracts often serve as breeding spots for mosquito colonies and it is a good idea to check for larvae every now and then.
I thought that this plant was a philodendron. However, on researching it, I'm pretty sure that it belongs to the genus Monstera (Monstera Deliciosa) which was, for a long time, considered part of the philodendron family. It is commonly known as "swiss cheese plant" . This is the first year that I have seen it produce this inflorescence. I'm not sure if this will develop into a leaf or a fruit. The leaves of the Monstera plant after an evening shower.
The lavender blooms of this lime green coleus are so beautiful that I can't beat to pinch them off. With coleus, I've always been told to remove the flowers to allow for longer life of the plant. Usually I do but with butterflies everywhere at this time of year, I can't bear to remove flowers from anything.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I wonder why this Monstera plant has the commonly known name "Swiss cheese plant". Is it because of the light green-yellow colour or does it smell so "awfully", as some sorts of cheese do?? Besides I get to know a lot of (for me) new plants with your interesting blog! Greetings from Switzerland,
Barbara

My Chutney Garden said...

Hi Barbara,
Thanks for your post. I think it's because of the holes in the leaves.
It's not one of those smelly ones. :)
I'm going to head over and pay you a visit now.
Keep good,
sharon